Island is located adjacent to San Francisco Bay in Redwood City, San Mateo
County, CA. Historically, Bair Island was a part of a large complex of
tidal marshes and mud flats that was diked in the late 1800's and early 1900’s
for agriculture. The Island was converted to salt evaporation ponds in the mid-1940's and operated until the mid 1960's. The California Department of Fish and
Game and the National Wildlife Refuge acquired the Bair Island complex over
time, and under the stewardship of these agencies, a restoration program was
developed to restore Bair Island to native tidal salt marsh habitat.