Site History: The Shell Pond is a 73-acre former wastewater pond located within a 292-acre parcel owned by PG&E. The pond was constructed in the 1940's; Shell Chemical Company enclosed a portion of wetland with levees and began discharging effluent from the former Chemical plant and neighboring Hysol/Dexter adhesives manufacturer. The effluent contained carbon black, metals, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). The primary contaminant of concern (CoC) is the layer of carbon black sediment left over from the historical discharges.
In order to determine the volume of contaminated material on site, DMS initially conducted bathymetric surveys of the pond and the adjacent sloughs, followed by 46 Vibracore samples taken using the DMS Air Ranger as well as the R/V Walter Marie. In the Fall of 2011 DMS conducted a sediment treatabliity investigation on the southern bank of the pond.